Friday, February 18, 2011

26 weeks- too early to arrive!

On Wednesday during lunch, I felt a quick shooting pain, it went away and I thought nothing of it.  I went home after our staff meeting to lay down (it was a very busy day being the 100th day of Kindergarten)!

I took a "nap", but wasn't feeling that great.  Had on and off cramping, was drinking a ton of water, and laying on my left side (per doctor's orders).  Jeff came home and I told him that I still wasn't feeling that great, finally around 8:00 (just as American Idol started), I decided to call the doctor.  She told us to come in.  I was nervous, but really didn't think anything about it.  We got there around 9:30 and thank goodness Dr. Balcolm was on call.  I was hooked up to the monitors was checked out.  Dr. Balcolm sat at the end of the bed, rubbed my leg and said, "You are contracting, are 1 cm dilated, are staying here for the next few days, and we will be starting medication for the babies lungs and to stop the contractions."  What?!?  I am only 26 weeks, it is way too early, I was so nervous!

She said she was going to run a FFN test and give me a round of steroids for the boy's lungs.  I got the shot and they also started anti-contracting medication that made me feel horrible... shakes, balloon head, the works.  The FFN test (the test that tells you if you have the possibility of having your baby in the next 2 weeks or not) came back negative.  Thank god!

So.. what now.  I am officially done work for now.  I was admitted into the hospital to follow my contractions.  I am on medication to stop the contractions and I am on bed rest until the boys arrive.  Thankfully I was only in the hospital for two nights and the boys look great.  My job now is to rest and keep them healthy for a long time!

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I can remember that day like it was yesterday. I remember how scared I was for you and the boys and how terrible it was seeing you in pain. I prayed as hard as I could that everyone would be alright...thankfully my prayers were answered. I actually felt like I was to blame-I had been going around saying that I couldn't wait to meet the boys, but I never meant so soon! You were so strong and calm the whole time. I remember being so proud of you and wondering how I got so lucky that you chose me. Now that they are here, I can't believe how blessed we are that the boys chose us to be their parents. Life is wonderful!